Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and our affiliates (“Samsung,” “we,” “us,” “our”) know how important privacy is to our customers (“Users”, “you”, “your”), and we strive to comply with the applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.
0. General provisions
“Personal Information” is any information about a natural person, who can be identified from data including name and social security number or from data that is combined with other information.
We know how important privacy is to our customers, and we dedicate to comply with the applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction.
1. Information we collect and how we collect your information
(1) Information we collect
We collect the following information when you set up an account or use our Services:
– Email address and password when setting up an account;
– Name, mobile phone number, date of birth, nation, education, school or company name to which you belong, major, and admission year
* We do not collect any sensitive information, which may significantly infringe on your privacy, including but not limited to your ideology, belief, membership status of a labor union and/or political party, your political view, health and sexual life.
* We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen (13). If it is required to provide the Service, we obtain prior parental or guardian consent, and provide necessary steps to thoroughly manage and protect such information during our Service. Immediately after the Service ends, we delete and destruct the information without delay.
(2) How we collect your information
- Website (set up an account)
* For use of our Services, you can choose not to provide us with certain types of information when filling out “Consent to Personal Information Collection and Use”.
2. Purpose of personal information collection and use
We use personal information we have collected for the purposes of:
- member management (member identification);
- contest and test operation (notice of contest and test including Participant identification, etc.);
- marketing (CodeGround and SCPC related marketing and promotional activities and work); or
- recruitment (contestant recruitment related work).
3. Retention and use of personal information
We delete and destroy personal information without delay when its management purpose is achieved.
However, we store personal information for a certain period of time if required by the applicable laws and regulations in your jurisdiction. In this case, we will move such information into a separate database (DB) or different storage.
4. Destruction procedure and methods of personal information
Procedure and methods of personal information disposal are as follows:
(1) Destruction procedure
Personal information of users will be destroyed after being stored in a separate DB (a separate box for paper prints) for a certain period of time in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations or our policies (See retention and usage period). The aforesaid information will not be used for other purposes than retention otherwise required by laws and regulations.
(2) Destruction methods
Personal information in electronic format is deleted using technical methods that resist simple recovery, so that the information cannot be reconstructed or recovered in any way. Printed copy of the said information is being destroyed using various methods including but not limited to shredding or incineration.
5. Entrustment of management of personal information
We entrust development of CodeGround system (www.codeground.org) and personal information handling during its operation to Samsung SDS, which is specialized in data handling and management, to effectively and efficiently provide our Services. We select an entrustment company only when our Service requires doing so.
In the event that we entrust personal information processing to the third parties, we take necessary and foreseeable measures to safeguard the aforesaid information. By providing a clear guideline on information protection, we ensure them to comply with the information related guidelines, maintain confidentiality, be liable for information leakage, and acknowledge entrustment period as well as return or destruction procedures of the information. At the same time, we oversee their data processing for personal information. If there is any change in our entrustment company or their entrustment work, we will notify you of such changes by posting them on our website or by using other means including but not limited to a mail, email, phone call and SMS.
6. Sharing personal information with a third party
We do not disclose your personal information to third parties except:
– if we are required to comply with the law or respond to compulsory legal process;
– if we charge you for our provided paid services;
– if we provide such information for statistics, academic and marketing purposes after processing them in a way that a person cannot be identified with the said data; and
– if we obtain prior consent from users.
7. Rights of users and their legal representative and exercising such rights
You and your legal representative (if you are under the age of thirteen) reserve the right to request at any time:
- to view, correct and delete of your information;
- to suspend data handling of your information; or
- to withdraw your consent to providing your information.
In case that you exercise your above-mentioned rights by using “Personal Information Change” (or “Member Information Change”) menu on our website, the responsible person for personal information handling in writing, via phone, or email, we will immediately take necessary steps to do so.
We reserve the right to refuse your request to view, correct and/or delete all or part of your personal information in cases where
– the request is prohibited or restricted in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations;
– the request may be threatening to other people’ lives or health; or the request may unfairly infringe on properties or benefits of other people.
In the event that you requests that an error in personal information be corrected, the personal information concerned will not be used or provided before such correction is completed. If the incorrect personal information has already been provided to a third party, we will notify the correction without delay.
We handle personal information deleted or suspended its handling based upon a request from you or your legal representative in accordance with “Section 3. Retention and use of personal information.” The information is prohibited to view or use for a purpose other than stated in the Section 3 above.
Please keep your personal information accurate and up-to-date to prevent unexpected incidents. You are fully responsible for incidents caused by inaccurate information you provided. Identity theft and providing false information may disqualify you from membership.
Your right to privacy is accompanied by responsibility to protect yourself and not to infringe on any person’s right to privacy. Please take precautions to prevent identity theft and not to damage other’s personal information including posting. If you damage personal information and dignity of others, you may be punished in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations.
8. Installation, operation, and rejection of device for automatic collection of personal information
This section applies to those subject to “Act on Promotion of
Information and Communications Network Utilization and Information Protection, Etc.” in the republic of Korea.
Cookies are small text files that are sent from our web server to your browser, and are stored on your hard drive.
(1) Purpose of using cookies
- implementing an auto-login feature;
- analyzing our members’ and non-members’ visiting time or frequency to our website;
- remembering your preferences and likely interests, and tracking your digital footprints; and
- understanding how often you participate in promotional and marketing events.
(2) How to disable cookies
You have the right to opt in or out of installation of cookies. You can configure your browser to accept
all cookies, reject all cookies or notify you whenever a cookie is sent. Please note, however, that disabling
cookies may affect your ability to use our Services or certain parts of our Services.
How to turn on, view and turn off cookies if you are an Internet Explorer user
– How to turn on cookies
Select “Internet Options” on the “Tools” menu and click “Privacy” tab.
Click “Settings” and enable cookies you want to use by moving the slider in the dialog box.
– How to view your cookies
Select “Internet Options” on the “Tools” menu and click “General” tab.
Then, click Settings under Browsing History. Select view files.
– How to turn off cookies
Select “Internet Options” on the “Tools” menu and click “Privacy” tab.
Click “Settings” and disable cookies by moving the slider in the dialog box to a higher setting.
9. Securing the safety of personal information
(1) Technical and administrative measures
We take technical and administrative measures to secure your personal information from being lost, stolen,
leaked, fabricated or damaged.
- Establish and implement internal administrative plans
ㆍWe have made and implemented internal administrative plans for the safe handling and management of your personal information.
ㆍWe have a Task Force dedicated to personal information protection. The TF has immediately taken measures if any issue arises in connection with implementing and complying with our personal information protection guidelines.
– Measures to prevent access logs from being forged or falsified
ㆍWe have stored and managed access logs to the Personal Information Handling System and used security features to prevent the logs from being forged or falsified.
– Encryption of personal information
ㆍOur user’s personal information is being protected through password. Personal information contained file or data is being encrypted or stored using a lock feature. For data, which we believe, are material and important, we have protected them by using additional security features.
– Measures against Hacking
ㆍWe use the latest version of vaccine program, which is updated on a regular basis, to prevent your personal information from being leaked or falsified.
ㆍWe have adopted an SSL to transmit personal information on our network in a safe and secured way by using encrypted algorithm.
ㆍWe have taken steps to protect our servers from external malicious attacks including hacking using intrusion detection and prevention system and a vulnerability analysis system.
ㆍWe have stored personal information in a separate server to prevent the data from being combined with non-personal information.
– Minimize the number of employees to access personal information and their trainings
ㆍOnly those in charge of marketing and personal information handling are allowed to have access to personal information along with those whose work inevitably require the information.
ㆍWe have provided our employees with internal and external trainings for new security technologies along with their obligations on protecting personal information to those who handle personal information on a regular basis.
ㆍWe have received a non-disclosure agreement from all employees to prevent personal information from being leaked, and have prepared audit procedures to supervise whether employees are complying with the policy guidelines on personal information protection.
ㆍWork transfer is being done under tight security. Furthermore, we hold those in charge of handling personal information accountable even after their resignation.
ㆍCertain areas such as a computing room and archives are designated as a restricted area.
(2) Link site related policies
We may provide you with a link which directs you to a website or materials of the third party, and use products and services developed by the third party through our Services. For example, you can download a third party application via Samsung Apps.
(3) Policy related to postings
We make great efforts to protect your posting from being forged, falsified and/or deleted as we value your
– postings targeted to tarnish other’s reputation by deliberately distributing false information;
– postings containing other’s personal information without obtaining consent from the respective person;
– postings infringe on our intellectual property rights or of a third party; or
– postings not relevant to our bulletin board.
We may delete or mask a certain part of your posting if it discloses other’s personal information. If it is relocated to other bulletin board, we leave the path to the new location of your posting.
We may delete your posting after sending explicit or individual warnings for other cases other than mentioned above.
You have the right to and responsibility in your postings. Please be cautious when you disclose your personal information as it is hard to be protected if the information has been voluntarily disclosed through your postings.
(4) Policy on mass email collection
We refuse to collect mass emails by using email collection program or other similar technical devices. You may be punished according to the applicable laws and regulations if violated.
(5) Transmission of advertising information
We do not send advertising communications if you opt out of receiving them.
If you agree to receive our email communications such as product information and news letters, we include information as follows:
– The title may not contain “advertisement” and shows information included in the e-mail body;
– The sender’s name, email address and phone number will be specified along with a link to unsubscribe email communications.
In case of using other media other than email such as fax or SMS to send advertisement for commercial and profit-making purposes, “advertisement” will be included pursuant to the applicable laws and regulations.
10. Responsible person for personal information and departments in charge of customer services
We have designated departments and a person responsible to deal with customer complaints related to
personal information as follows:
(2) Person in charge of personal information management
Person in charge of personal information management with the Global Privacy Office
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
(3) Other organizations
You may file a complaint and/or request relief to the responsible departments mentioned above for damages
related to handling and management of your personal information while you are using our Services. We will respond
to and address your reports.
– Internet Crime Investigation Center of the Supreme Prosecutors' Office (www.spo.go.kr / +82-2-3480-3600)
– Cyber Terror Response Center of the Korean National Police Agency (www.ctrc.go.kr / +82-2-392-0330)